Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of AzkabanTitle: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Scholastic
Genre: Fantasy, Fiction
Pages: 435
Rating: 9/10

“They died in a car crash, you nasty little liar, and left you to be a burden on their decent, hardworking relatives!” screamed Aunt Marge, swelling with fury. “You are an insolent, ungrateful little-”
But Aunt Marge suddenly stopped speaking.
… She seemed to be swelling with inexpressible anger- but the swelling didn’t stop.

Aunt Marge is Uncle Vernon’s sister. She is very arrogant, just like aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. In the excerpt above, Aunt Marge is insulting Harry and his parents, while she doesn’t realize she is swelling up like a balloon, because of magic.

This is the third book of the Harry Potter series, and this book has also been converted into a movie. In Harry’s thrilling year of Hogwarts, a prisoner named Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban, a wizard jail. Sirius Black has worked for the Dark Lord, and he is after Harry Potter ; the boy who survived Voldemort’s killing curse. Sirius is hunting Harry down. Harry is not safe, even when he is in school with his friends.

Remus Lupin is Harry’s third Defense against the Dark arts teacher, in Hogwarts. I think Remus Lupin is an interesting character for many reasons. My first reason is because he is a werewolf and he is in the Gryffindor house. He also helped Harry produce the Patronus charm and he (Lupin) was a good student in Hogwarts School Witch Craft and Wizardry, he is brave because he is not afraid to duel Death Eaters or go against Dementors and if he sees a problem he is not afraid to say it.

I thought this book was excellent. I liked it because I thought the humor was very good and that it pulled the story together. I thought Ron was the funniest in this book. There were other funny things in this book like when Aunt Marge blew up like a balloon and started floating up in the air. My favorite part in this book is Quiditch. I like the twist J.K. Rowling adds for Quidditch. I think J.K. Rowling added good details. I could really visualize the whole book in my head. It was like my very own movie of the Prisoner of Azkaban. I also like that in the beginning of each chapter there is a picture that tells a little bit of what is going to happen in the book. I think that is a very different technique, since the book has no illustrations except for the front cover and the back of the book. I don’t see this technique in any other book.

I think this book is better than the Sorcerer’s Stone and it is almost as good as the Chamber of Secrets. I think this book is worth reading over and over again, so people should definitely buy it. I can’t wait to read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire! I would recommend to people who have read the previous books or to people who like fantasy.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...