Sunday, August 25, 2013

Book Review: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Title: Eragon
Author: Christopher Paolini
Publisher: Knopf
Genre: Fantasy, Fiction
Pages: 497
Rating: 4.5/5

After a series of squeaks, a small dark head poked out of the hole, followed by a weirdly angled body…
  … Standing in front of him, licking off the membrane that encased it, was a dragon.

In the except above, Eragon, a poor farm boy, finds a stone in the Spine, which is a mountain range located near Eragon‘s house. After days of looking at the stone, Eragon realizes that the stone is actually a dragon egg.

This is the summary of the book: Before Eragon was born, there was a boy named Galbatorix. He becomes a dragon rider, which is somebody who tries to keep peace in the world. After going on many adventures, Galbatorix’s dragon dies, which causes him to go insane. Galbatorix takes over and rules over the lands. He kills people and becomes an enemy of the Varden, an organized group  of people who oppose Galbatorix. He kills or imprisons all of the riders, which causes a great need for new riders. This event leads to Eragon finding a bright, blue stone in the Spine. This stone is not an ordinary stone, it is a dragon egg. When the dragon hatches, it is the start of new riders. As Eragon learns more about the riders, he grows stronger. When Galbatorix hears about the new rider; he quickly tells his soldiers to kill Eragon. The soldiers kill all  of Eragon’s family. After Eragon sees what happened, he sets out to kill Galbatorix. Will Eragon be able to survive the threat of Galbatorix?

I liked Eragon for many reasons. My first reason was because Christopher Paolini really hooked me on with the prologue. It interested me. Second of all, Christopher Paolini added a lot of humor. I thought Saphira, Eragon’s dragon was the funniest. I liked when she was being sarcastic with Eragon. That made me laugh out loud. Last of all, I liked the book because it included pronunciations, a glossary, special scenes that were not mentioned in the book, and a sneak peek of Eldest.  My favorite part of the book was when Eragon was pursuing Galbatorix’s soldiers. It was the best part of the book because it included a lot of action and spying. That seemed cool to me. I can’t wait to read the next book, Eldest!

I recommend that you definitely read this book. I guarantee that you will enjoy it!

Eragon is the first book in the Inheritance series. Not only is Eragon a best selling book, it is a 2006 movie.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...